Bulgaria's Dara wins the 2026 Eurovision Song Contest
- Dara won the 2026 Eurovision Song Contest in Austria for Bulgaria with the song "Bangaranga" in the early hours of Sunday.
Vienna, 17 May 2026 (dpa/MIA) — Dara won the 2026 Eurovision Song Contest in Austria for Bulgaria with the song "Bangaranga" in the early hours of Sunday.
Dara gave Bulgaria its first Eurovision victory with 516 points. Runner-up with 343 points was Israel's Noam Bettan with "Michelle," followed by Romania's Alexandra Căpitănescu with "Choke Me" (296 points).
Finland — a standout favorite in betting markets and among fans with duo Linda Lampenius and Pete Parkkonen’s song "Liekinheitin" ("Flamethrower") blending classical violin and pulsing pop elements in a stage performance featuring jets of fire — finished sixth with 279 points.
Dara said she had "doubt and anxiety" about taking part in the 2026 edition of the song contest.
The singer, whose real name is Darina Yotova, said at a press conference after her win: "I want to thank my husband, because he was the one to push me to come to Eurovision.
"Because in the beginning I was not sure if I want to come or not, because I had anxiety and doubt with myself, and he was the one that he just pushed me, and he was like, 'You need to go right now to Eurovision, right now, pick up your phone tell them you’re going'."
Dara, who previously appeared on the Bulgarian edition of The X Factor in 2015 and reached the final, won both the jury and public vote.
She added: "I’m so thankful that I (got) the chance to be in Eurovision, and every day I’ve been here in this place, I felt safe, protected, loved, supported.
"I felt that I can do everything, that everything is possible, and I really, truly think that this community is so amazing.
"I will miss you so much, today I woke up, and I almost cried, because I will miss this place, and you all."
Dara’s win means next year’s contest will take place in the Bulgarian capital, Sofia.
Her high-energy performance saw her perform in a pink top and leather shorts, as dancers around her performed a jerky routine in shirts and ties.
Political tensions over Israel's participation
Political tensions over Israel's participation cast a shadow over the 70th edition of the competition.
Spain, the Netherlands, Ireland, Slovenia and Iceland boycotted in protest against Israel's military campaign in Gaza, which was launched after the Hamas-led attacks on Oct. 7, 2023.
Hours before the final was to get under way, several thousand people took to the streets in Vienna to protest Israel taking part. A pro-Palestinian protest just before the final began led to a large police operation in the Austrian capital. Fourteen people were arrested.
The protesters accused Eurovision organizers of hypocrisy for allowing Israel to compete, as Russia was excluded in 2022 for its invasion of Ukraine.
They carried signs reading "Free Palestine" and "Block Eurovision," and chanted the contentious slogan "From the river to the sea — Palestine will be free."
The Palestinian ambassador in Vienna, Salah Abdel Shafi, told protesters Israel’s inclusion was "an insult to art, to culture, to music and to humanity," accusing Israel of genocide and ethnic cleansing.
The Israeli government rejects the accusations.
Security around the event was tightened amid the tensions, with police braced for further demonstrations. Access to the venue, the Vienna Stadthalle, as well as fan zones and after-show locations, is subject to strict security checks, and a no-drone zone has been imposed around event sites.
Austria secured hosting rights after countertenor JJ won last year's contest in Basel, Switzerland for his operatic pop ballad "Wasted Love."
As host nation, Austria automatically qualified for the final alongside the so-called "Big Five" financial contributors — France, the United Kingdom, Italy, Spain and Germany — although Spain is not participating this year.
Eurovision tightens voting rules for SMS, apps
This year’s contest features revised voting rules. In the semi-finals, where 10 countries were eliminated, the outcome was no longer decided solely by public vote, with national juries once again accounting for half of the points — a system previously used only in the final.
In addition, the maximum number of votes per viewer via app, SMS and phone was reduced from 20 to 10. The European Broadcasting Union, which organizes the contest, said the move followed last year’s result, when Israel’s entrant Yuval Raphael secured second place on the back of a strong public vote, prompting speculation about coordinated voting efforts.