• Sunday, 09 June 2024

Fulham stun hosts Utd with late winner; Arsenal, City and Glasner joy

Fulham stun hosts Utd with late winner; Arsenal, City and Glasner joy

London, 25 February 2024 (PA Media/dpa/MIA) - Alex Iwobi’s stoppage-time goal gave Fulham a 2-1 win at Manchester United after Harry Maguire’s late equalizer looked to have rescued a Premier League draw on Saturday.


The Cottagers had the better of the first half, with Rodrigo Muniz forcing a good save from United goalkeeper Andre Onana and then hitting the post.


Fulham eventually made the breakthrough after 65 minutes when defender Calvin Bassey swept the ball in from a corner.


United – with 19-year-old Omari Forson handed a first Premier League start in place of injured striker Rasmus Hojlund – hauled themselves level in the 89th minute when Bruno Fernandes’ cross was pushed out by Bernd Leno and Maguire lashed the loose ball home.


Fulham, though, made the most of nine minutes of stoppage-time when Iwobi finished off a swift counter-attack to leave the home support at Old Trafford stunned.


United boss Erik ten Hag said: "Today we could have won this game. We should have won this game as the team showed great character."


Manchester City later won 1-0 at Bournemouth to close within a point of leaders Liverpool, who play Chelsea in the League Cup final on Sunday.


Phil Foden put City in front after 23 minutes, knocking home a rebound after Cherries keeper Neto had saved from Erling Haaland.


Bournemouth improved in the second half, with Dominic Solanke’s header from a corner saved on the line before substitute Enes Unal nodded wide at the far post in stoppage time.


"They are supermen," City boss Guardiola said. "What can I say? The demands for the calendar, for everything, for the expectations, they are so high. What they have done many, many years with a lot of games, many things and always you believe they will fall down, not continue to do it and they surprise me every time."


Arsenal kept themselves a point behind City with a 4-1 win over Newcastle in Saturday’s late kick-off at the Emirates Stadium.


The Gunners went ahead in the 18th minute when Newcastle defender Sven Botman knocked the ball over the line for an own goal after Gabriel’s header from a corner had been saved, and Kai Havertz soon added a second.


Newcastle produced more of an attacking threat after the restart, but Bukayo Saka crashed in Arsenal’s third after 65 minutes before Jakub Kiwior flicked in a corner.


Former Gunner Joe Willock headed in a consolation for Newcastle with seven minutes left.


Aston Villa consolidated fourth place as they beat Nottingham Forest 4-2.


Ollie Watkins gave Villa an early lead with a tap-in and Douglas Luiz made it 2-0 on the half-hour mark.


Forest fell further behind six minutes before the break when Luiz headed in his second.


Moussa Niakhate then pulled a goal back for Forest in first-half stoppage-time following a corner.


Forest further reduced the deficit three minutes into the second half when Morgan Gibbs-White broke to clip the ball over Villa keeper Emi Martinez.


Villa restored their advantage in the 61st minute when Forest were caught playing out from the back and Leon Bailey slotted the ball in after Watkins’ effort was saved.


"First half we did fantastically and I was very happy, I was feeling comfortable and confident," said Villa manager Unai Emery. "After some doubt we reacted and were again playing with personality and trying to control the game."


New Crystal Palace manager Oliver Glasner got off to the perfect start with a 3-0 win over 10-man Burnley at Selhurst Park.


The visitors were down to 10 men in the 35th minute when Josh Brownhill was shown a straight red card for bringing down Palace midfielder Jefferson Lerma.


Chris Richards headed Palace in front after 68 minutes, the American’s first goal for the club, before Jordan Ayew swiftly added another.


Jean-Philippe Mateta wrapped things up with a third from the penalty spot with 11 minutes left.


Burnley, who remain deep in relegation trouble, saw a late goal from David Fofana ruled out for offside in the build-up.


Brighton captain Lewis Dunk struck a stoppage-time equalizer to snatch a 1-1 draw against Everton at the Amex Stadium.


Defender Jarrad Branthwaite put Everton ahead with 17 minutes left when he rifled the ball into the top-right corner following a free-kick into the penalty area.


Brighton midfielder Billy Gilmour was then shown a red card in the 81st minute for a foul on Amadou Onana – but Dunk headed in from a corner to secure the 10 men a point.


Photo: EPA