Kabul, 9 February 2020 (dpa/MIA) – Two US soldiers were killed and six others wounded in a firefight in Afghanistan’s eastern Nangarhar province a US official said.
In a statement, Colonel Sonny Leggett, a spokesman for the US military in Afghanistan said Sunday the incident took place in Shirzad district. An individual in an Afghan uniform opened fire on the combined US and Afghan forces with a machine gun on Saturday.
The wounded service members are receiving medical treatment at a US facility, he added.
However, other reports suggest a shoot-out between Afghan and American forces during a joint operation that has caused fatalities to both sides.
“We are still collecting information and the cause or motive behind the attack is unknown at this time,” Leggett added. “The incident is under investigation.”
In an initial statement on Saturday, Leggett had said the combined force had been engaged by direct fire.
It was not clear whether Taliban infiltrators were behind the firefight or it was due to an argument between allied forces.
In accordance with US Department of Defense policy, the names of the services members killed in action will be withheld until 24 hours after notification of next of kin is complete.
Nangarhar is among the volatile provinces where both the Taliban and Islamic State militants have a foothold.
Since the beginning of 2020, four US service members have died in Afghanistan in combat-related incidents while 20 others died last year.
There are currently around 12,000 US soldiers stationed in Afghanistan.