Paris, 22 April 2020 (dpa/MIA) – French carmaker Renault said Wednesday that it was resuming production on a limited basis at three sites in France.
Renault shut down its 12 French sites, with a total of 18,000 employees, in March due to the coronavirus outbreak.
A spokeswoman for Renault said the resumption would be “very, very incremental” and strictly in line with the requirements of health authorities.
More sites would resume work in the coming weeks, the spokeswoman said.
Many carmakers worldwide have halted production, citing not just hygiene concerns but also interruptions in supply lines.
Figures released last week showed new car sales in the European Union down 55 per cent in March 2020 compared to March 2019.