Vienna, 9 April 2021 (dpa/MIA) – A first round of talks between top diplomats to try to save the Iranian nuclear deal concluded in Vienna on Friday and will be resumed next week, with participants sounding cautious optimism about the progress made so far.
Negotiators had “noted with satisfaction the initial progress made” at the end of the first three days of talks, Russian diplomat Mikhail Ulyanov wrote on Twitter. “The commission will reconvene next week in order to maintain the positive momentum.”
Tehran also expressed cautious optimism about the negotiations. “There are signs that the US is about to revise its position and lift sanctions,” Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said ahead of the final meeting on Friday.
The remaining parties of the 2015 Iran nuclear deal are conducting a fresh round of discussions on a possible US return to the deal, which aims to prevent Tehran from developing nuclear weapons in return for sanctions relief.
The US pulled out in 2018. Trading restrictions reimposed by Washington have prevented Tehran from reaping significant economic benefits.
The political director of the EU diplomatic service, Enrique Mora, chaired the meeting with representatives from China, France, Germany, Russia, Britain and Iran.
Participants were briefed by two working groups on lifting sanctions and implementation of nuclear measures, and “noted the constructive and results oriented exchanges,” a statement sent out by the European Union said.
“As Coordinator I will continue separate contacts with all JCPOA participants and the US,” Mora tweeted.