• Saturday, 21 February 2026

Nikoloski: Solution for Macedonian transporters to come soon, problem high on Brussels' agenda

Nikoloski: Solution for Macedonian transporters to come soon, problem high on Brussels' agenda

Skopje, 20 February 2026 (MIA) - Deputy PM and Transport Minister Aleksandar Nikoloski says the problem of Macedonian transporters related to the introduction of the new Entry/Exit System (EES) is high on the agenda in Brussels, adding that a solution is expected soon.

Deputy PM Nikoloski told Telma that the Government is lobbying with European institutions in order to protect domestic transportation companies, noting that an official dialogue has been launched with the European Commission regarding its visa strategy, in which Macedonian transporters are treated as a professional category.

"The contours are clear, the new visa strategy recognizes transporters as professionals, which was not the case until now. There are now several options reviewed as possible solutions: every Schengen state issuing separate visas, with days counted only for that country; full exemption of drivers as pilots or engine drivers; or their treatment as cross-border workers. Solutions are currently being found among these three options. I expect a solution to be reached, and the delay of the EES by September is a sign of good will," says Nikoloski.

Asked if the problem will be solved by September, the Deputy PM says there is enough time, while noting it is an issue that should not be politicized, "because it relates to business".

He adds that the Government has discussed the issue since last year.

"The EU was not aware of the magnitude of the issue until the blockade (of Western Balkans' transporters) took place," says Nikoloski and highlights that the Government remains committed to a sustainable solution that ensures continued operations of Macedonian transporters.

Photo: Screenshot