• Friday, 20 February 2026

Iran says it seeks no war but vows response to any US attack

Iran says it seeks no war but vows response to any US attack

New York, 20 February 2026 (dpa/MIA) - Iran on Thursday warned it would respond "decisively and proportionately" if attacked amid rising tensions with Washington, saying US military assets in the region would be considered legitimate targets.

In a letter to UN Secretary General António Guterres, Iran's ambassador to the United Nations said that "all bases, facilities, and assets of the hostile force in the region would constitute legitimate targets" in the event of aggression.

The US military maintains numerous bases across the Middle East with tens of thousands of troops.

Iran's ambassador said Tehran "neither seeks tension nor war and will not initiate any war," stressing Tehran's readiness to continue working toward a diplomatic settlement. In the dispute over Iran's nuclear programme, the ambassador said in the letter, "a durable and balanced solution" remained achievable.

Earlier on Thursday, US President Donald Trump appeared to set a deadline for a deal with Tehran, saying 10 to 15 days should be sufficient and describing the time frame as "pretty much the maximum." He warned: "We're either going to get a deal or it's going to be unfortunate for them."

Earlier, Trump said the world would likely know within the next 10 days which direction relations between Washington and Tehran would take.

The talks focus on Iran's contested nuclear programme. Washington aims to prevent the Islamic Republic from acquiring nuclear weapons.

Tehran has signalled willingness to curb its nuclear activities in return for the lifting of tough economic sanctions, but has so far ruled out negotiations over other issues, including limits on its missile programme. Iran says its nuclear work is for civilian purposes only.

Photo: archive