- Friday, March 24, 2017 5:37 PM
Skopje, 24 March 2017 (MIA) - International Whistleblower Day and Free Speech Day Macedonia was marked Friday in Skopje at an event organized by the Southeast Europe Coalition on Whistleblower Protection (SECWP) and Center for Investigative Journalism SCOOP-Macedonia.
Katica Janeva, the main public prosecutor of the Special Public Prosecution (SPO), said the Whistleblower Protection Law was vital for functioning of the institution stating that it must be implemented appropriately.
The SPO, media, the civil sector and the relevant institutions, she added, are obligated to show to whistleblowers that they are one of the key links in the fight against all forms of corruption and crimes of high-ranking officials.
"Those who want to act as whistleblowers should be aware about the significant role they will play aimed at achieving a noble goal and mission embedded in history," Janeva said calling on the citizens to be brave and to report cases of corruption.
Macedonia has one of the best laws on the protection of whistleblowers. "What's missing is implementation of this law by the institutions. It enter into force in March 2016," said Slagjana Taseva, head of Transparency International Macedonia. ba/17:36
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 4:51 PM | Macedonia's Alagjozovski to attend informal conference of culture ministers in Davos
Ahead of the World Economic Forum, an informal conference for the ministers of culture from the sign...
- 4:11 PM | Mass protest in Thessaloniki against use of 'Macedonia' in name dispute with Skopje
Thousands of people, carrying banners with messages 'Macedonia was, will be Greek'; 'The name is our...
- 3:00 PM | There is room for improvement of language bill - French Ambassador Thimonier
French Ambassador Christian Timonie believes he isn't the only one who has failed to understand the ...
- 1:55 PM | Taliban claims responsibility for deadly assault at Kabul hotel
An Afghan official says an assault on the Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul has ended after more than ...
- 1:49 PM | Greek PM Tsipras: If there is an opportunity for a solution, it would be a national stupidity not to make good use of it
Under the title 'If there is an opportunity for a solution, it would be a national stupidity not to ...